Looking for a list of quotes? See the Top 50 Inspirational Quotes, guaranteed to motivate and inspire you!
Almost everyone loves inspirational and positive quotes. A good quote can touch the depths of our soul and remind us of what truly matters in life. However, we tend to forget them as we go about our day, and the quote’s positive effects quickly wear off.
Is it possible, however, for these quotes to have a lasting change in our ability to be optimistic? How can we maintain these positive feelings long after reading the quotes?
The answer may lie in a simple technique which neuroscientific research has shown to physically alter the brain’s neurological pathways and create new connections which help brain to automatically default to positive thoughts. In other words, this exercise trains your brain to think positively, as a habit.
Train Your Brain To Think Positive With This Simple Exercise
Repetition creates skill. Thinking positive is a skill and if you want to master it you need to bombard your mind with positive thoughts and images. Reading quotes over and over will allow them to sink in on a deeper level and take root in your subconscious mind. The more you tell your brain something, the more it will believe it, especially when it is accompanied by powerful feelings.
However, not all quotes will appeal to everyone the same way. So, here is what you do.
First, choose your favorite quotes. When you really like a quote, put it somewhere easy to get to (such as on your phone or written down somewhere). Then, every day, spend about 5 minutes reading and contemplating these.
Be very strict about which quotes you include because, if you don’t, you’ll end up having far too many and will spend a lot of time reading ones that don’t really inspire you.
By only including quotes that truly move you, you ensure that you are constantly being exposed to words that speak to the core of your being, quotes that will change your state of mind and re-wire your brain. This will help you to get into a peak state every day and to perform at your best.
This exercise is most effective when done upon waking or just before going to sleep.
To get you started in gathering your list of quotes, I invite you to read through the 32 quotes that have made it into my favorites. 5 minutes with these each day has completely altered my entire outlook on life and drastically increased the joy I feel each and every day. Enjoy!
32 Positive and Inspiration Quotes That I Use
Here is a list, in no particular order, of the 32 quotes that have made it into my favorites, so far.
1. “How am I going to live today in order to create the tomorrow I’m committed to?” –Tony Robbins
2. “First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.” –Epictetus
3. “You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” –Christopher Columbus
4. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” –Mark Twain
5. “Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.” –Charles Swindoll
image source: Custom Drink Coasters
6. “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” –Mahatma Gandhi
7. “There are those who work all day, those who dream all day, and those who spend an hour dreaming before setting to work to fulfill those dreams. Go into the third category because there’s virtually no competition”. –Steven J Ross
8. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” –George Bernard Shaw
9. “To me success can only be acheived through repeated failure and introspection. In fact, success represents 1% of your work that results from the 99% that is called failure.” –Henry Ford
10. “I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” –Stephen Covey
11. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” –Maya Angelou
12. “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It’s not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it’s when you’ve had everything to do, and you’ve done it.” –Margaret Thatcher
13. ” The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” –Vince Lombardi
14. “Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.” –Helen Keller
15. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced. –Vincent Van Gogh
16. “There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.” –Aristotle
17. “Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts.” –J.W. Goethe
18. “Everyone who has taken a shower has an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it that makes a difference.” –Nolan Buhnell
19. “You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction.” –George Lorimer
20. “Persistence: fall down seven times, stand up eight.” –Japanese proverb
21. “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” –Tony Robbins
22. “When life’s problems seem overwhelming, look aroud and see what others are coping with. You may consider yourself fortunate.” –Ann Landers
23. “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive — to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” –Marcus Aurelius
24. “Think of yourself on the threshold of success. A whole, clear, glorious life lies before you. Achieve! Achieve!” –Andrew Carnegie
25. “People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within.” –Romana L. Anderson
26. “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.” –The Buddha
27. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.” –Willie Nelson
28. “I quit being afraid when my first venture failed and the sky didn’t fall down.” –Allen H. Neuharth
29. “Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” –T.S. Eliot
30. “Man is buffeted by circumstances so long as he believes himself to be the creature of outside conditions, but when he realizes that he is creative power, and that he may command the hidden soil and seeds of his being out of which circumstances grow, he then becomes the rightful master of himself.” –James Allen
31. “Self-suggestion makes you master of yourself.” –W. Clement Stone
32. “Constant repetition carries conviction.” –Robert Collier
Need some more positivity? Check out this wonderful source for positive words, where you can find positive words that start with A, B, C, etc., positive words to describe someone and many more ways to fill your life with positivity.